Set yourself up for success in 2020!
JULIE CHASE | JANUARY 1, 2020
“Most people overestimate what they can do in one year and underestimate what they can do in ten years.” — Bill Gates
I love this quote because it rings true. I always find myself creating a laundry list of things that I want to do in a year. While I wouldn’t say it’s impossible to achieve them all, I would say that I’m not setting myself up for success. Meanwhile when creating my dreams for a decade, I know I’m selling myself short.
Over the years I’ve tried many strategies on how to set and accomplish goals. For awhile I subscribed to SMART goals. But here’s the problem with that — they are too rigid and don’t account for the things we can’t control.
Our clients would get so fixated on the exact date they set to accomplish their dream job that it would become the primary focus and cause more stress, which was counterproductive.
Last year I transitioned to what I call “intentional goals.” Similar to setting an intentional career, I ask our clients to approach goal setting in a more thoughtful and meaningful way.
Here’s how to approach the intentional goal setting for landing your dream job:
- Do a braindump of everything that is important to you about the role, company, people, pay, and so on.
- Circle the top 4, 5 or 6 things that are the most important to you.
Think about it this way, if I had these things, I would feel so much happier and more fulfilled. It would positively change my life by (fill in the blank with whatever you want).
- Write a new story (just a paragraph or two) on what this job looks and feels like. Add your bulleted list and add some affirmations such as “I achieve all my goals.” “I am a talented and confident leader.”
- Print your story, list and affirmations — review it at least daily. Read it aloud. This reinforces your belief and commitment, keeps you focused and elevates your positive emotions.
- Break it down into bite size pieces. Determine ONE thing you can do to move toward that goal, do it and refine until you get the result you want. Then repeat.
- Let go of an exact date. When you have confidence in yourself and believe you’ll achieve your goal, it’ll happen exactly when it’s supposed to. Journaling is a great tool to release stress and reinforce belief.
- Share with friends and family — the more the better. Holding your goal close to your heart acts as a constraint. I sometimes hear, “I don’t want to tell people in case it doesn’t happen,” but that works against you. Sharing helps reinforce your belief and amplifies your support. I challenge you to act from a place of openness and see what unfolds!
By approaching it this way, you’ll become intentional about what you want and achieve your goals!
I’ll share an example from one of our successful clients Jen. She got 6 out of 7 of her intentional goals. And here’s the cherry on top — Jen achieved all of this 9 weeks to the day from when she started our program.
Her new story
I love my new job. My company embodies and practices its core values, which are aligned to mine. I have an amazing boss who values my work and supports me. My colleagues are exceptional and fun to work with. I continuously learn and grow and have many opportunities. I have deepened my sense of fulfillment and happiness.
I have way more energy when I go home. I now go on walks with my husband and feel more connected. I have a more positive outlook on life and look forward to the future.
My dream job
✔ A leadership position at a company that I admire
✔ Autonomy and a trust culture
✔ Flexible workspace and hours
✔ Work-life balance
✔ Inspired-driven colleagues
✔ Compensation at the high end of market value — she got a 25% increase!
🗸 Woman-led business
Are you up for trying intentional goal setting? If so, please connect to me, share your goals and experience. I’d love to hear from you!
IF your intentional goal for 2020 IS making a strategic career move, then please reach out to us. We’d love to talk about your goals and how we can help you achieve them with speed, ease and success!
Wishing you an auspicious year filled with spectacular success!